Policies and procedures define the playbook for professionals in any speech-language pathology services and physical and occupational therapy facility. Managing your center’s policies and procedures effectively and making information easily accessible to therapists helps your center stay in line with the various regulatory bodies and associations – whether your center is for speech pathology/language pathology, occupational therapy or physical therapy. Your policy and procedure setup should aid your certification and accreditation processes for ALL the existing regulatory bodies, statutes, standards and associations, including:
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- The American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA)
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE®)
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy
- State regulatory boards
- ACO regulations for physical and occupational therapy
- OSHA Physical Therapy Module
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Comprehensive Error Rate Testing (CERT)
- False Claims Act
- Medicare Claims Audits
- Physician Self Referral (Stark Law)
- Version 5010 Electronic Administrative Transactions
- HIPAA policies and procedures
What are regulatory bodies looking for during an audit?
In a CMS or other compliance audit, the outpatient center’s policies and procedures will be reviewed to ensure they are up-to-date, approved by the appropriate personnel for use, and follow all necessary standards for accreditation. They also make sure therapists and all staff members have quick and easy access to the information. These policies and procedures might include the following:
- Best practice guidelines and procedures
- Required knowledge and skill sets by therapists
- Scope of practice for each profession
- Standards and bylaws
- Privacy policies
- Code of ethics
With so many regulatory bodies out there, how can PolicyStat help?
PolicyStat’s policy and procedure management software is the perfect solution to help outpatient physical therapy, speech pathology and occupational therapy centers get and stay accredited. PolicyStat makes it easy to review, edit and approve policies as new statutes are put in place by regulatory bodies. PolicyStat allows authors to “tag” policies by one or more applicable statute, standard or regulation, making it easy to find what you need during a compliance audit. PolicyStat also allows your rehab center to share policies/procedures with another center in your Accountable Care Organization (ACO). This means you can borrow policy content that has already passed through a successful compliance audit. All of this, and much more, at a very low total cost of ownership – no servers to buy, no applications to manage.
What is the biggest benefit PolicyStat provides for outpatient rehab centers? With PolicyStat, all therapists have access to the information they need at all times and on any device, even while working off-site. As a web-based product, therapists can access PolicyStat on any web-connected device including smartphone/handhelds, tablets, laptops or desktops from anywhere at any time. Universal access to all of your organization’s applicable guidelines and procedures not only keeps your rehab center compliant, but it ensure the safest, highest quality care for your patients.