With so many competing priorities at organizations in the healthcare world, handling policies and procedures…
According to a recent article by Mary Sturm of Surgical Management Professionals, policies and procedures in a surgery facility are intended to guide surgery professionals into best practice processes, regardless of whether management is present. A new staff member should be able to handle a particular situation or follow a process by looking up the appropriate policy or procedure. They also need to be able to look up that policy/procedure quickly and without frustration, having easy access to the information they need at the point of care. When there is an effective policy management system in place to accomplish this, it becomes much easier for new and old employees alike to follow these guidelines and promote a culture of safety and best practices.
Though policy and procedure manuals help facilitate best practices, they are usually created as a way to keep up with accreditation mandates, says Sturm. To stay accredited, an outpatient surgery facility must periodically review and approve these policies and procedures. This can become a big and burdensome task without the help of automation. Through automated features, PolicyStat can help take the burden off your staff members and keep your outpatient surgery center up-to-date with ongoing certification, licensure and accreditation.
Policies and Procedures Management for Outpatient Surgery Centers
Effective policies and procedures management prepares your outpatient surgery center for regulatory compliance audits and accreditation surveys from any of the various governing bodies and associations.
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)
- The Joint Commission (TJC or JCAHO)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS)
- Federal and state health departments
How does PolicyStat help with accreditation?
The PolicyStat software helps your surgery facility with the following:
- Making information accessible on any device, from handhelds to laptops
- Simplifying the steps needed to locate a certain policy or procedure
- Reminding authors and editors to review and approve policies
- Fostering collaboration among authors/editors
- Keeping an audit trail and history
- Communicating policies and procedures to staff
- Linking policies and procedures to their appropriate standards reference
- Allowing sharing of policies and procedures between the surgery center and hospital
- And much more
Want to see how PolicyStat can help facilitate best practices and keep your outpatient surgery center in line with standards and recommendations? Schedule a FREE, no-obligation online demo.